Guardianships and Conservatorships

Although we all hope that our adult loved ones will never require our care, a guardianship or a conservatorship may at some point become necessary for a disabled or elderly adult family member. A guardian can help manage an incapacitated relative’s finances, as well as make necessary personal and health care decisions for them. In addition, when a developmentally disabled or incapacitated minor child turns 18, parents can no longer make financial and healthcare related decisions for them without first acquiring legal guardianship. If you find yourself in such a situation, it is best to start the guardianship process several months prior to your disabled child’s 18th birthday, so that there is no interruption in the provision of their financial or healthcare services.